Tools and sensors development
MICROSENSORS AND MICROSYSTEMS
Miniaturization of devices for analysis in analytical chemistry is one of Proambiente main asset. By using technological processes typical of Microelectronics is possible to create MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems) made of silicon, both as stand-alone devices and as integrated components within more complex micro-systems.
By exploiting the facilities and the equipment located within the Institute for Microelectronics and Microsystems (IMM) of Bologna - one of the Consortium partners -, Proambiente is capable to design and fabricate limited amounts of silicon and silicon/glass micro-devices for analytical chemistry applications (eg.: indoor and outdoor air quality monitoring based on Gas-Chromatographic technique). The availability of a 250m2 Clean Room, in fact, allows the micro-machining of silicon wafers (10cm diameter) to fabricate a huge number of MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems) devices based on the technology processes of Microelectronics. By virtue of their extremely reduced size and relatively low fabrication costs, these devices are suitable for the integration into complex microsystems characterized by small dimensions and low power consumption. This is an essential feature for the assembly of low-cost capillary and distributed monitoring networks.
Examples of available MEMS devices:
- Silicon injector based on polymeric flexible membranes (pneumatically actuated).
- Silicon/glass pre-concentration cartridge to increase the amount of injected sample.
- Silicon/glass Gas-Chromatographic Column (packed, 55cm-long and 100cm-long).
- Silicon Gas-Chromatographic Column (capillary, 2m-long and 3.5m-long).
- Silicon/glass Thermal Conductivity Detector (TCD).
- Silicon Metal Oxide (MOX) Detector.
AIR QUALITY AND INDOOR COMFORT MODULAR SYSTEMS
Proambiente designs and develops advanced systems for Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) and environmental comfort monitoring.
Our platforms integrate an open source smart unit with commercial and custom (MEMS developed in collaboration with CNR-IMM) sensors.
The electronic and mechanical parts are developed ad hoc for modular integration, from fluidics (air IN / OUT, sensor sampling chamber, zero generator) to temperature control.
Platforms implement our web services for:
1. Report data in real time from PCs, tablets and smartphones;
2. Check the station remotely;
3. On-board data processing algorithms.
Different versions of Integrated Systems and sensors:
- Indoor Base (T, RH%, total VOC, CO2)
- Indoor Plus (T, RH%, total VOC, CO2, NOx, CO, O2, O3)
- Farming Base (T, RH%, CO2, NH3, H2S)
Other optional sensors: BTEX, Black Carbon, Particulate Matter (PM), noise, lighting.